<

Thursday, April 07, 2005

Birds and Spring

The last couple of nights I have left my window open as I have gone to bed because it has been so gorgeous lately. The fresh spring air really does wash over everything, sending the winter cold off in a farwell of rain showers, sunlight, and warm winds.

This has made my waking up in the mornings absolutley delightful. The first morning I left my window open it was that cold brisk morning air and I was so cozy in my bed that I waited a full hour before I peeled back the covers and braved the crispy air in my room.

One of the great things to these mornings - besides waking up joyful remembering that it is spring and winter is running away like it is getting chased by a bully - is the birds. When conciousness hits me the first thing I hear is the happy chirp of 3 or 4 birds right out side my window and sitting on the telephone wires. It has got to be one of my favorite sounds. That is what mornings should be like...hearing the happy chirp of birds, feeling the spring air flood my room, waking up in a beam of sunlight. I love spring.

It reminds me of how much I dislike winter, the darkness and gloom of the mornings, the cold bitting and gnawing at my bones in an endless pursuit of tortur.e. Of course there is some beauty in winter, and I fully understand that I would never appreciate the spring as I do unless I survived the winter that preceeds it...but man do I ever dislike winter. I am so thankful for the chirping birds of spring, and I will continue to appreciate them as long as they are there.