<

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Religion and Politics

It seems that everywhere I look lately - at least in regards to news stations, CNN, and CBC presentations - religion and politics are the topic of discussion. It is kind of surreal seeing these hoity toity news anchor guys discussing (and arguing) with their guests about religion.

I guess that I have come to expect anything and everything from the news...I shouldn't be so shocked - I realize that and have never really "trusted" the media.

It is so strange watching the differences - even in presentation - between the American news channels and Canadian ones. It is funny actually. CNN for example is all about making its viewers live in fear. Constant news reports of the "new threat" whether it be debit card fraud, or disease. Canadian news is all about - well currently - the enormous upheaves in our government....good grief...I'm not even going there.

I think the issue of religion and politics - the relationship and the problems - has only appeared to be on the back burner of political life. I do not think it has actually slipped out of any ones conscious. It just seems that now, it is coming back to the media, back to the politicians and it is really interesting watching how people handle the issues - or, more correctly - try and skirt around.

I don't think I have seen people be so quickly angered as when the topic of religion and politics gets brought up and actually talked about. I spent a lot of last night watching a bunch of programs on this topic - everything from gay marriage, to women priests, to the Catholic Church, to prayer in schools. I was laughing SO HARD....this one news reporter....very annoying man, he is SO RUDE when this topic comes up....just would cut off his quests when they were talking....wouldn't let them say anything unless it was what he wanted to hear.....funny.

Check out AL'S page He has some really interesting views...his latest post has to do with religion.....if you are up for a challenge of thought....head there....it is good stuff.