<

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Captivated

Anything related to hospitals all carry the same scent.
The sanitized, rubber glove, needles-everywhere sort of scent.
Sitting in the awkward trying-to-be-comfortable chairs I started to recall the different occasions that I have been in a hospital setting. The time I got pushed off a snow hill in elementary school and needed crutches, when my finger got kicked and fractured, going with a friend who needed nose surgery and holding the bucket and being a leaning post as she tried to recover from the anesthesia after the surgery...this is not the list in its entirety but only some glances. They seemed seared into my memory, the smell, the look, the feel of the cheap bed sheets, the look of the nurses fluttering from one places to another.

Realizing that I did not want to be caught up in these memories (I really can hardly handle being in hospitals) I started looking for distractions. Even the thought and memory of what hospitals smelt like was starting to make me nauseous.
Thankfully, a table blanketed with magazines of every size and shape were provided for my leisure. I grabbed the first one I always grab when I am in places like that...the home decorating ones.

I think I have wanted to build my own house since I was really little. I remember always being fascinated with design, architecture, how things are laid out etc. There was this one photo in this magazine that caught my eye as I scanned the decorating ideas and tips that are "hot" and "fashionable" right now.

It caught my eye because not only am I passionate about home design but I am fascinated and long to be more than an amateur at the culinary arts. So kitchen lay outs and designs always catch my eye. This one particular photo was of a kitchen, delightfully laid out, lots of light, wonderfully simple, yet not overly "sanitized" looking. It looked "lived in" if you know what I mean, I like something that looks like and is able to be lived in.

Anyway...what I absolutely loved was that on two of the walls in this kitchen were floor to ceiling bookshelves, making up the wall. The den (or whatever room you could barely see in the picture had that wonderfully warm library look to it) looked like it literally poured into the kitchen, a seamless flow from one room to the other. The books in the kitchen were obviously various cook books and such...but I was absolutely captivated by the idea.

Books speak such warmth and comfort to me, I spend many hours in the library here at college, just sitting amoungst the books (This love of books and literature must be something I picked up from my family). The idea of blending the two feels together just connected with something in me. I must have stared at it for quite awhile, because I was shocked out of my thoughts at the calling of my name...I wanted to steal the magazine (I didn't and am now sad I didn't *smile*) but the image feels like it has slide down into my heart.....if that is even possible....