<

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

memories

I have been overwhelmed today (and yesterday mind you) with memories. Good memories. Memories that make you miss times, places, people, little quirks....*sigh*.

Someone will say something and I will flash back to a moment from a job in Wpg a handful of years ago where at work a co-worker is telling a story and we are all rolling on the floor laughing because a) she tells stories in such a hillarious and unique way and b) the story is simply hillarious.

I worked at this coffee shop for just over a year in Wpg and there were these enormous windows (nearly floor to ceiling) that stretched the length of this corridor where the shop was situated. Because I opened and closed at this place I would watch the days pass by - sunrise to sunset - out these windows - often times feeling very stuck in a place that at times didn't quite seem like reality.
I wonder if that's how fish feel....being all stuck in a bowl.....

I remember my favorite thing about winter and about being able to work at this job was this one guy.
**side note - Regulars always make a work place worth it, even if it is a customer service job**
He would arrive early in the morning
- athletic build- a little on the skinny side, tall (over 6' for sure), gentle face, deep dark eyes, about in his late 40's - mid 50's, and very quiet.

From our perch inside these windows we would watch as he found his bench, sit down and put his skates on. He would spend most of the day figure skating in the middle of the forks where they put a slab of ice over the concret for the winter as a little mini outdoor skating rink.
All by himself just skating the day away.
He was a regular, and skated for us and the world almost every morning during the long cold winters.
He reminded me of beauty, and that winter isn't all that horrible after all.

On days where he wouldn't show up we would miss him and drink our chai hoping he would show up the next day. He was such a beautiful surprise in the middle of the cold winters in Wpg.

I have really been missing Wpg alot....such treasured people and memories from my time there.