<

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Collapse

Its like I am standing before this mountainous wall of rock,
not one gigantic slab of rock, but a wall of stone made up with many pieces.
Its so high I cannot see the top and it is so wide I cannot see either edge,
it consumes me in its scale.

Because I am a texture person I reach out to touch the stone,
to feel its solid cool under my finger tips.
In part I reach out to connect what I see to what I feel.
Is this stone wall actually before me?

I see a small stone that can easily be pulled out
and so I grab hold of it, rolling its edges in my palm.
In the midst of my thought while holding this small stone
I hear the sound of tension, the build up of pressure.
Suddenly the realization that in my reaching and grabbing this small stone,
this wall before me is somehow weakened.
The sounds of tension and pressure are coming from this stone wall
and the danger of the situation becomes very real.

I try and replace the stone as if I never took hold of it.
Frantically trying to stop the collapse that I know is coming.
Suddendly the sound is deafening,
the sound of stone cracking under incredible weight.
I am caught in the collapse, this mountainous stone wall
crumbling and falling about me.
Turning and attempting to run I am caught by the falling stone.
Caught beneath its weight,
its edges,
its collapse.